40 P.S. § 991.1402 - Acquisition of Control of or Merger or Consolidation with Domestic Insurer
|Cite as:||40 P.S. § 991.1402|
|Currency:||Current through P.A. Acts 2018-164|
(1) No person other than the issuer shall make a tender offer for or a request or invitation for tenders of, or enter into any agreement to exchange securities or seek to acquire or acquire in the open market or otherwise, any voting security of a domestic insurer if, after the consummation thereof, such person would directly or indirectly or by conversion or by exercise of any right to acquire, be in control of such insurer, and no person shall enter into an agreement to merge or consolidate with or otherwise to acquire control of a domestic insurer or any person controlling a domestic insurer unless, at the time any such offer, request or invitation is made or any such agreement is entered into or prior to the acquisition of such securities if no offer or agreement is involved, such person has filed with the department and has sent to such insurer a statement containing the information required by this section and such offer, request, invitation, agreement or acquisition has been approved by the department in the manner hereinafter prescribed.
(2) [For purposes of this section, a "domestic insurer" shall include any person controlling a domestic insurer unless such person as determined by the department is either directly or through its affiliates primarily engaged in business other than the business of insurance. Such person shall, however, file a preacquisition notification with the department containing the information set forth in section 1403(c)(2) thirty (30) days prior to the proposed effective date of the acquisition. Failure to file is subject to section 1403(e)(3). For purposes of this section, "person" shall not include any securities broker holding, in the usual and customary manner, less than twenty per centum (20%) of the voting securities of an insurance company or of any person which controls an insurance company.] For purposes of this section:
(i) "Domestic insurer" includes a person controlling a domestic insurer unless the department determines that the person is primarily engaged in business other than the business of insurance either directly or through its affiliates.
(ii) "Person" does not include a securities broker who holds, in the usual and customary manner, less than twenty per centum (20%) of the voting securities of an insurer or of a person that controls an insurer.
(3) A controlling person of a domestic insurer seeking to divest its controlling interest in the insurer in any manner shall file with the department, with a copy to the insurer, a notice of the proposed divestiture at least thirty (30) days prior to the cessation of control except that notice under this paragraph is not required if a statement is filed under paragraph (1). The notice must contain information sufficient for the department to determine if the proposed divestiture requires filing and approval under paragraph (1). Information obtained by or disclosed to the department under this paragraph shall be given confidential treatment as provided under section 1407.
(4) The acquiring person for transactions subject to this section must file a preacquisition notification as required under section 1403(c) or be subject to a penalty as provided under section 1403(e)(3).
(5) A person seeking to rebut the presumption of control under this article shall file with the department, with a copy to the insurer, a rebuttal filing containing information sufficient for the department to determine whether control exists in fact. The filing is not effective unless the department finds that control does not exist or accepts a disclaimer of control. Information obtained by or disclosed to the department under this subsection must be given confidential treatment as provided under section 1407.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP