5 Del. C. § 2901 - Definition of terms
|Cite as:||5 Del. C. § 2901|
|Currency:||Current through 2019 Legislative Session Act 219|
As used in this chapter, unless the context or subject matter otherwise requires:
(1) "Motor vehicle" means any device propelled or drawn by any power other than muscular power, in, upon, or by which any person or property is, or may be transported or drawn upon a highway.
(2) "Retail buyer" or "buyer" means a person who buys a motor vehicle from a retail seller and who executed a retail installment contract in connection therewith.
(3) "Retail seller" or "seller" means a person who sells a motor vehicle to a retail buyer under or subject to a retail installment contract.
(4) "Retail installment transaction" means any transaction evidenced by a retail installment contract entered into between a retail buyer and a retail seller wherein the retail buyer buys a motor vehicle from the retail seller at a time price payable in one or more deferred installments. The cash sale price of the motor vehicle, the amount included for insurance and other benefits if a separate charge is made therefor, official fees and the finance charge shall together constitute the time price. A transaction is not a retail installment transaction if no interest is charged by the retail seller.
(5) "Retail installment contract" or "contract" means an agreement, entered into in this State, pursuant to which the title to, the property in or a lien upon the motor vehicle, which is the subject matter of a retail installment transaction, is retained or taken by a retail seller from a retail buyer as security, in whole or in part, for the buyer's obligation. The term includes a chattel mortgage, a conditional sales contract and a contract for the bailment or leasing of a motor vehicle by which the bailee or lessee contracts to pay as compensation for its use a sum substantially equivalent to or in excess of its value and by which it is agreed that the bailee or lessee is bound to become, or has the option of becoming, the owner of the motor vehicle upon full compliance with the provisions of the contract.
(6) "Cash sale price" means the price stated in a retail installment contract for which the seller would have sold to the buyer, and the buyer would have bought from the seller, the motor vehicle which is the subject matter of the retail installment contract, if such sale has been a sale for cash instead of a retail installment transaction. The cash sale price may include any taxes, registration, certificate of title, license and other fees and charges for accessories and their installation and for delivery, servicing, repairing or improving the motor vehicle.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP