7 U.S.C. § 3103 - Definitions
|Cite as:||7 U.S.C. § 3103|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
When used in this chapter:
(1) The term "Advisory Board" means the National Agricultural Research, Extension, Education, and Economics Advisory Board.
(2) The term "agricultural research" means research in the food and agricultural sciences.
(3) The term "aquaculture" means the propagation and rearing of aquacultural species, including, but not limited to, any species of finfish, mollusk, or crustacean (or other aquatic invertebrate), amphibian, reptile, ornamental fish, or aquatic plant, in controlled or selected environments.
(4) COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY.-
(A) IN GENERAL.-The terms "college" and "university" mean an educational institution in any State which (i) admits as regular students only persons having a certificate of graduation from a school providing secondary education, or the recognized equivalent of such a certificate, (ii) is legally authorized within such State to provide a program of education beyond secondary education, (iii) provides an educational program for which a bachelor's degree or any other higher degree is awarded, (iv) is a public or other nonprofit institution, and (v) is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association.
(B) INCLUSIONS.-The terms "college" and "university" include a research foundation maintained by a college or university described in subparagraph (A).
(5) COOPERATING FORESTRY SCHOOL.-
(A) IN GENERAL.-The term "cooperating forestry school" means an institution-
(i) that is eligible to receive funds under Public Law 87-788 (commonly known as the McIntire-Stennis Cooperative Forestry Act; 16 U.S.C. 582a et seq.); and
(ii) with respect to which the Secretary has not received a declaration of the intent of that institution to not be considered a cooperating forestry school.
(B) TERMINATION OF DECLARATION.-A declaration of the intent of an institution to not be considered a cooperating forestry school submitted to the Secretary shall be in effect until September 30, 2018.
(6) The term "cooperative extension services" means the organizations established at the land-grant colleges and universities under the Smith-Lever Act of May 8, 1914 (38 Stat. 372-374, as amended; 7 U.S.C. 341-349 ), and section 209(b) of the Act of October 26, 1974 (88 Stat. 1428, as amended; D.C. Code, sec. 31-1719(b)).
(7) The term "Department of Agriculture" means the United States Department of Agriculture.
(8) The term "extension" means the informal education programs conducted in the States in cooperation with the Department of Agriculture.
(9) FOOD AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES.-The term "food and agricultural sciences" means basic, applied, and developmental research, extension, and teaching activities in food and fiber, agricultural, renewable energy and natural resources, forestry, and physical and social sciences, including activities relating to the following:
(A) Animal health, production, and well-being.
(B) Plant health and production.
(C) Animal and plant germ plasm collection and preservation.
(E) Food safety.
(F) Soil, water, and related resource conservation and improvement.
(G) Forestry, horticulture, and range management.
(H) Nutritional sciences and promotion.
(I) Farm enhancement, including financial management, input efficiency, and profitability.
(J) Home economics.
(K) Rural human ecology.
(L) Youth development and agricultural education, including 4-H clubs.
(M) Expansion of domestic and international markets for agricultural commodities and products, including agricultural trade barrier identification and analysis.
(N) Information management and technology transfer related to agriculture.
(O) Biotechnology related to agriculture.
(P) The processing, distributing, marketing, and utilization of food and agricultural products.
(10) HISPANIC-SERVING AGRICULTURAL COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES.-
(A) IN GENERAL.-The term "Hispanic-serving agricultural colleges and universities" means colleges or universities-
(i) that qualify as Hispanic-serving institutions;
(ii) that offer associate, bachelors, or other accredited degree programs in agriculture-related fields; and
(iii) with respect to which the Secretary has not received a declaration of the intent of a college or university to not be considered a Hispanic-serving agricultural college or university.
(B) EXCEPTION.-The term "Hispanic-serving agricultural colleges and universities" does not include 1862 institutions (as defined in section 7601 of this title).
(C) TERMINATION OF DECLARATION OF INTENT.-A declaration of the intent of a college or university to not be considered a Hispanic-serving agricultural college or university submitted to the Secretary shall be in effect until September 30, 2018.
(11) HISPANIC-SERVING INSTITUTION.-The term "Hispanic-serving institution" has the meaning given the term in section 1101a of title 20.
(12) INSULAR AREA.-The term "insular area" means-
(A) the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico;
(C) American Samoa;
(D) the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands;
(E) the Federated States of Micronesia;
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP