15 U.S.C. § 4301 - Definitions
|Cite as:||15 U.S.C. § 4301|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-65 (10/09/2019)|
(a) For purposes of this chapter:
(1) The term "antitrust laws" has the meaning given it in subsection (a) of section 12 of this title, except that such term includes section 45 of this title to the extent that such section 45 of this title applies to unfair methods of competition.
(2) The term "Attorney General" means the Attorney General of the United States.
(3) The term "Commission" means the Federal Trade Commission.
(4) The term "person" has the meaning given it in subsection (a) of section 12 of this title.
(5) The term "State" has the meaning given it in section 15g(2) of this title.
(6) The term "joint venture" means any group of activities, including attempting to make, making, or performing a contract, by two or more persons for the purpose of-
(A) theoretical analysis, experimentation, or systematic study of phenomena or observable facts,
(B) the development or testing of basic engineering techniques,
(C) the extension of investigative findings or theory of a scientific or technical nature into practical application for experimental and demonstration purposes, including the experimental production and testing of models, prototypes, equipment, materials, and processes,
(D) the production of a product, process, or service,
(E) the testing in connection with the production of a product, process, or service by such venture,
(F) the collection, exchange, and analysis of research or production information, or
(G) any combination of the purposes specified in subparagraphs (A), (B), (C), (D), (E), and (F),
and may include the establishment and operation of facilities for the conducting of such venture, the conducting of such venture on a protected and proprietary basis, and the prosecuting of applications for patents and the granting of licenses for the results of such venture, but does not include any activity specified in subsection (b).
(7) The term "standards development activity" means any action taken by a standards development organization for the purpose of developing, promulgating, revising, amending, reissuing, interpreting, or otherwise maintaining a voluntary consensus standard, or using such standard in conformity assessment activities, including actions relating to the intellectual property policies of the standards development organization.
(8) The term "standards development organization" means a domestic or international organization that plans, develops, establishes, or coordinates voluntary consensus standards using procedures that incorporate the attributes of openness, balance of interests, due process, an appeals process, and consensus in a manner consistent with the Office of Management and Budget Circular Number A-119, as revised February 10, 1998. The term "standards development organization" shall not, for purposes of this chapter, include the parties participating in the standards development organization.
(9) The term "technical standard" has the meaning given such term in section 12(d)(4) 1 of the National Technology Transfer and Advancement Act of 1995.
(10) The term "voluntary consensus standard" has the meaning given such term in Office of Management and Budget Circular Number A-119, as revised February 10, 1998.
(b) The term "joint venture" excludes the following activities involving two or more persons:
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP