16 U.S.C. § 971 - Definitions
|Cite as:||16 U.S.C. § 971|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 115-280|
For the purpose of this chapter-
(1) The term "Convention" means the International Convention for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas, signed at Rio de Janeiro May 14, 1966, including any amendments or protocols which are or become effective for the United States.
(2) The term "Commission" means the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas provided for in article III of the Convention.
(3) The term "conservation recommendation" means any recommendation of the Commission made pursuant to Article VIII of the Convention and acted upon favorably by the Secretary of State under section 971c(a) of this title.
(4) The term "Council" means the Council established within the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas pursuant to article V of the Convention.
(5) The term "exclusive economic zone" means an exclusive economic zone as defined in section 1802 of this title.
(6) The term "fishing" means the catching, taking, or fishing for or the attempted catching, taking, or fishing for any species of fish covered by the Convention, or any activities in support thereof.
(7) The term "fishing vessel" means any vessel engaged in catching fish or processing or transporting fish loaded on the high seas, or any vessel outfitted for such activities.
(8) The term "Panel" means any panel established by the Commission pursuant to article VI of the Convention.
(9) The term "person" means every individual, partnership, corporation, and association subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
(10) The term "Secretary" means the Secretary of Commerce.
(11) The term "State" includes each of the States of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the territories and possessions of the United States.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP