18 U.S.C. § 229F - Definitions
|Cite as:||18 U.S.C. § 229F|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-158 (08/14/2020)|
In this chapter:
(1) CHEMICAL WEAPON.-The term "chemical weapon" means the following, together or separately:
(A) A toxic chemical and its precursors, except where intended for a purpose not prohibited under this chapter as long as the type and quantity is consistent with such a purpose.
(B) A munition or device, specifically designed to cause death or other harm through toxic properties of those toxic chemicals specified in subparagraph (A), which would be released as a result of the employment of such munition or device.
(C) Any equipment specifically designed for use directly in connection with the employment of munitions or devices specified in subparagraph (B).
(2) CHEMICAL WEAPONS CONVENTION; CONVENTION.-The terms "Chemical Weapons Convention" and "Convention" mean the Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production, Stockpiling and Use of Chemical Weapons and on Their Destruction, opened for signature on January 13, 1993.
(3) KEY COMPONENT OF A BINARY OR MULTICOMPONENT CHEMICAL SYSTEM.-The term "key component of a binary or multicomponent chemical system" means the precursor which plays the most important role in determining the toxic properties of the final product and reacts rapidly with other chemicals in the binary or multicomponent system.
(4) NATIONAL OF THE UNITED STATES.-The term "national of the United States" has the same meaning given such term in section 101(a)(22) of the Immigration and Nationality Act ( 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(22) ).
(5) PERSON.-The term "person", except as otherwise provided, means any individual, corporation, partnership, firm, association, trust, estate, public or private institution, any State or any political subdivision thereof, or any political entity within a State, any foreign government or nation or any agency, instrumentality or political subdivision of any such government or nation, or other entity located in the United States.
(A) IN GENERAL.-The term "precursor" means any chemical reactant which takes part at any stage in the production by whatever method of a toxic chemical. The term includes any key component of a binary or multicomponent chemical system.
(B) LIST OF PRECURSORS.-Precursors which have been identified for the application of verification measures under Article VI of the Convention are listed in schedules contained in the Annex on Chemicals of the Chemical Weapons Convention.
(7) PURPOSES NOT PROHIBITED BY THIS CHAPTER.-The term "purposes not prohibited by this chapter" means the following:
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP