49 U.S.C. § 24102 - Definitions
|Cite as:||49 U.S.C. § 24102|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 115-338|
In this part-
(1) "auto-ferry transportation" means intercity rail passenger transportation-
(A) of automobiles or recreational vehicles and their occupants; and
(B) when space is available, of used unoccupied vehicles.
(2) "commuter authority" means a State, local, or regional entity established to provide, or make a contract providing for, commuter rail passenger transportation.
(3) "commuter rail passenger transportation" means short-haul rail passenger transportation in metropolitan and suburban areas usually having reduced fare, multiple-ride, and commuter tickets and morning and evening peak period operations.
(4) "intercity rail passenger transportation" means rail passenger transportation, except commuter rail passenger transportation.
(5) "long-distance route" means a route described in subparagraph (C) of paragraph (7).
(6) "National Network" includes long-distance routes and State-supported routes.
(7) "national rail passenger transportation system" means-
(A) the segment of the continuous Northeast Corridor railroad line between Boston, Massachusetts, and Washington, District of Columbia;
(B) rail corridors that have been designated by the Secretary of Transportation as high-speed rail corridors (other than corridors described in subparagraph (A)), but only after regularly scheduled intercity service over a corridor has been established;
(C) long-distance routes of more than 750 miles between endpoints operated by Amtrak as of the date of enactment of the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008; and
(D) short-distance corridors, or routes of not more than 750 miles between endpoints, operated by-
(i) Amtrak; or
(ii) another rail carrier that receives funds under chapter 244.
(8) "Northeast Corridor" means Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island.
(9) "rail carrier" means a person, including a unit of State or local government, providing rail transportation for compensation.
(10) "rate" means a rate, fare, or charge for rail transportation.
(11) "regional transportation authority" means an entity established to provide passenger transportation in a region.
(12) "state-of-good-repair" means a condition in which physical assets, both individually and as a system, are-
(A) performing at a level at least equal to that called for in their as-built or as-modified design specification during any period when the life cycle cost of maintaining the assets is lower than the cost of replacing them; and
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP