49 U.S.C. § 40102 - Definitions
|Cite as:||49 U.S.C. § 40102|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
(a) GENERAL DEFINITIONS.-In this part-
(1) "aeronautics" means the science and art of flight.
(2) "air carrier" means a citizen of the United States undertaking by any means, directly or indirectly, to provide air transportation.
(3) "air commerce" means foreign air commerce, interstate air commerce, the transportation of mail by aircraft, the operation of aircraft within the limits of a Federal airway, or the operation of aircraft that directly affects, or may endanger safety in, foreign or interstate air commerce.
(4) "air navigation facility" means a facility used, available for use, or designed for use, in aid of air navigation, including-
(A) a landing area;
(B) runway lighting and airport surface visual and other navigation aids;
(C) apparatus, equipment, software, or service for distributing aeronautical and meteorological information to air traffic control facilities or aircraft;
(D) communication, navigation, or surveillance equipment for air-to-ground or air-to-air applications;
(E) any structure, equipment, or mechanism for guiding or controlling flight in the air or the landing and takeoff of aircraft; and
(F) buildings, equipment, and systems dedicated to the national airspace system.
(5) "air transportation" means foreign air transportation, interstate air transportation, or the transportation of mail by aircraft.
(6) "aircraft" means any contrivance invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air.
(7) "aircraft engine" means an engine used, or intended to be used, to propel an aircraft, including a part, appurtenance, and accessory of the engine, except a propeller.
(8) "airman" means an individual-
(A) in command, or as pilot, mechanic, or member of the crew, who navigates aircraft when under way;
(B) except to the extent the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may provide otherwise for individuals employed outside the United States, who is directly in charge of inspecting, maintaining, overhauling, or repairing aircraft, aircraft engines, propellers, or appliances; or
(C) who serves as an aircraft dispatcher or air traffic control-tower operator.
(9) "airport" means a landing area used regularly by aircraft for receiving or discharging passengers or cargo.
(10) "all-cargo air transportation" means the transportation by aircraft in interstate air transportation of only property or only mail, or both.
(11) "appliance" means an instrument, equipment, apparatus, a part, an appurtenance, or an accessory used, capable of being used, or intended to be used, in operating or controlling aircraft in flight, including a parachute, communication equipment, and another mechanism installed in or attached to aircraft during flight, and not a part of an aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller.
(12) "cargo" means property, mail, or both.
(13) "charter air carrier" means an air carrier holding a certificate of public convenience and necessity that authorizes it to provide charter air transportation.
(14) "charter air transportation" means charter trips in air transportation authorized under this part.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP