12 Pa.C.S. § 6202 - Definitions
|Cite as:||12 Pa.C.S. § 6202|
|Currency:||Current through P.A. Acts 2019-13|
The following words and phrases when used in this chapter shall have the meanings given to them in this section unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) A person who buys, hires or leases a motor vehicle under an installment sale contract or a legal successor in interest to the person, even if the person may have entered into an extension, deferment, renewal or other revision of the contract.
(2) The term includes a person who as surety, endorser, guarantor or otherwise is liable on an obligation created by a buyer under an installment sale contract.
(1) Security, other than a security interest in a motor vehicle, which is the subject of an installment sale contract and given to secure performance of an obligation of a buyer or the buyer's surety or guarantor under an installment sale contract or an extension, deferment, renewal or other revision of the contract.
(2) The term includes the following:
(i) The undertakings of a surety or guarantor for a buyer.
(ii) An interest in, encumbrance on or pledge of real or personal property other than the motor vehicle that is the subject of an installment sale contract.
(1) A person who, as an independent contractor and not as a regular employee of an installment seller or a sales finance company, collects payments on installment sale contracts or repossesses motor vehicles that are the subject of installment sale contracts.
(2) The term excludes the following:
(i) A duly constituted public official or an attorney-at-law acting in an official capacity.
(ii) A licensed seller or licensed sales finance company making collections or repossessions on installment sale contracts, if the seller or sales finance company:
(A) was previously a holder; or
(B) was not a holder but occasionally makes collections or repossessions for other licensed sellers or licensed sales finance companies.
"Commercial purpose." A purpose related to the production, exhibition, marketing, transportation, processing or manufacture of goods or services.
"Debt cancellation agreement." A contractual arrangement in which a person agrees to pay all or part of a buyer's obligation to repay an extension of credit from a holder upon the occurrence of a specified event.
"Debt suspension agreement." A contractual arrangement in which a person agrees to pay for a specific period of time all or part of a buyer's obligation to repay an extension of credit from a holder upon the occurrence of a specified event.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP