69 P.S. § 603 - Definitions
|Cite as:||69 P.S. § 603|
|Currency:||Current through P.A. Acts 2019-72, 2019-74|
The following words, terms and phrases when used in this act shall have the meaning ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates otherwise:--
1. "Motor vehicle" shall mean any self-propelled device in which, upon which, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a public highway, excepting tractors, power shovels, road machinery, agricultural machinery and other machinery not designed primarily for highway transportation, but which may incidentally transport persons or property on a public highway, and excepting such devices which move upon or are guided by a track or travel through the air and shall include trailers and semi-trailers.
2. "Person" includes an individual, partnership, association, business corporation, banking institution, nonprofit corporation, common law trust, joint stock company or any other group of individuals however organized.
3. "Installment buyer" or "buyer" shall mean the person who buys, hires or leases a motor vehicle under any installment sale contract or any legal successor in interest to such person, and shall continue to designate such person notwithstanding he may have entered into one or more extensions, deferments, renewals or other revisions of the original contract, and includes any person who as surety, endorser, guarantor, or otherwise, is liable on the obligation created by the buyer under an installment sale contract.
4. "Installment seller" or "seller" shall mean a person engaged in the business of selling, hiring or leasing motor vehicles under installment sale contracts or any legal successor in interest to such person.
5. "Holder" shall mean any person, including a seller, who is currently entitled to the rights of a seller under an installment sale contract.
6. "Sales finance company" shall mean a person engaged as principal, agent or broker in the business of financing or soliciting the financing of installment sale contracts made between other parties, including but not thereby limiting the generality of the foregoing, the business of acquiring, investing in or lending money or credit on the security of such contracts or any interest therein whether by discount, purchase or assignment thereof, or otherwise: Provided, That the term shall not include any person to the extent that he makes bona fide commercial loans to sellers or sales finance companies and takes assignments of, or an interest in, an aggregation of installment sale contracts only as security for such commercial loans under which, in the absence of default or other bona fide breach of the loan contract, ownership of such contracts remains vested in the assignor and collection of payments on such contracts is made by the assignor. The term shall include any seller, whether or not licensed under this act, as a seller who finances installment sale contracts for other sellers or sales finance companies.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP