42 U.S.C. § 6291 - Definitions
|Cite as:||42 U.S.C. § 6291|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
For purposes of this part:
(1) The term "consumer product" means any article (other than an automobile, as defined in section 32901(a)(3) of title 49) of a type-
(A) which in operation consumes, or is designed to consume, energy or, with respect to showerheads, faucets, water closets, and urinals, water; and
(B) which, to any significant extent, is distributed in commerce for personal use or consumption by individuals;
without regard to whether such article of such type is in fact distributed in commerce for personal use or consumption by an individual, except that such term includes fluorescent lamp ballasts, general service fluorescent lamps, incandescent reflector lamps, showerheads, faucets, water closets, and urinals distributed in commerce for personal or commercial use or consumption.
(2) The term "covered product" means a consumer product of a type specified in section 6292 of this title.
(3) The term "energy" means electricity, or fossil fuels. The Secretary may, by rule, include other fuels within the meaning of the term "energy" if he determines that such inclusion is necessary or appropriate to carry out the purposes of this chapter.
(4) The term "energy use" means the quantity of energy directly consumed by a consumer product at point of use, determined in accordance with test procedures under section 6293 of this title.
(5) The term "energy efficiency" means the ratio of the useful output of services from a consumer product to the energy use of such product, determined in accordance with test procedures under section 6293 of this title.
(6) The term "energy conservation standard" means-
(A) a performance standard which prescribes a minimum level of energy efficiency or a maximum quantity of energy use, or, in the case of showerheads, faucets, water closets, and urinals, water use, for a covered product, determined in accordance with test procedures prescribed under section 6293 of this title; or
(B) a design requirement for the products specified in paragraphs (6), (7), (8), (10), (15), (16), (17), and (20) of section 6292(a) of this title; and
includes any other requirements which the Secretary may prescribe under section 6295(r) of this title.
(7) The term "estimated annual operating cost" means the aggregate retail cost of the energy which is likely to be consumed annually, and in the case of showerheads, faucets, water closets, and urinals, the aggregate retail cost of water and wastewater treatment services likely to be incurred annually, in representative use of a consumer product, determined in accordance with section 6293 of this title.
(8) The term "measure of energy consumption" means energy use, energy efficiency, estimated annual operating cost, or other measure of energy consumption.
(9) The term "class of covered products" means a group of covered products, the functions or intended uses of which are similar (as determined by the Secretary).
(10) The term "manufacture" means to manufacture, produce, assemble or import.
(11) The terms "import" and "importation" mean to import into the customs territory of the United States.
(12) The term "manufacturer" means any person who manufactures a consumer product.
(13) The term "retailer" means a person to whom a consumer product is delivered or sold, if such delivery or sale is for purposes of sale or distribution in commerce to purchasers who buy such product for purposes other than resale.
(14) The term "distributor" means a person (other than a manufacturer or retailer) to whom a consumer product is delivered or sold for purposes of distribution in commerce.
(A) The term "private labeler" means an owner of a brand or trademark on the label of a consumer product which bears a private label.
(B) A consumer product bears a private label if (i) such product (or its container) is labeled with the brand or trademark of a person other than a manufacturer of such product, (ii) the person with whose brand or trademark such product (or container) is labeled has authorized or caused such product to be so labeled, and (iii) the brand or trademark of a manufacturer of such product does not appear on such label.
(16) The terms "to distribute in commerce" and "distribution in commerce" mean to sell in commerce, to import, to introduce or deliver for introduction into commerce, or to hold for sale or distribution after introduction into commerce.
(17) The term "commerce" means trade, traffic, commerce, or transportation-
(A) between a place in a State and any place outside thereof, or
(B) which affects trade, traffic, commerce, or transportation described in subparagraph (A).
(18) The term "Commission" means the Federal Trade Commission.
(19) The term "AV" is the adjusted volume for refrigerators, refrigerator-freezers, and freezers, as defined in the applicable test procedure prescribed under section 6293 of this title.
(20) The term "annual fuel utilization efficiency" means the efficiency descriptor for furnaces and boilers, determined using test procedures prescribed under section 6293 of this title and based on the assumption that all-
(A) weatherized warm air furnaces or boilers are located out-of-doors;
(B) warm air furnaces which are not weatherized are located indoors and all combustion and ventilation air is admitted through grills or ducts from the outdoors and does not communicate with air in the conditioned space; and
(C) boilers which are not weatherized are located within the heated space.
(21) The term "central air conditioner" means a product, other than a packaged terminal air conditioner, which-
(A) is powered by single phase electric current;
(B) is air-cooled;
(C) is rated below 65,000 Btu per hour;
(D) is not contained within the same cabinet as a furnace the rated capacity of which is above 225,000 Btu per hour; and
(E) is a heat pump or a cooling only unit.
(22) The term "efficiency descriptor" means the ratio of the useful output to the total energy input, determined using the test procedures prescribed under section 6293 of this title and expressed for the following products in the following terms:
(A) For furnaces and direct heating equipment, annual fuel utilization efficiency.
(B) For room air conditioners, energy efficiency ratio.
(C) For central air conditioning and central air conditioning heat pumps, seasonal energy efficiency ratio.
(D) For water heaters, energy factor.
(E) For pool heaters, thermal efficiency.
(23) The term "furnace" means a product which utilizes only single-phase electric current, or single-phase electric current or DC current in conjunction with natural gas, propane, or home heating oil, and which-
(A) is designed to be the principal heating source for the living space of a residence;
(B) is not contained within the same cabinet with a central air conditioner whose rated cooling capacity is above 65,000 Btu per hour;
(C) is an electric central furnace, electric boiler, forced-air central furnace, gravity central furnace, or low pressure steam or hot water boiler; and
(D) has a heat input rate of less than 300,000 Btu per hour for electric boilers and low pressure steam or hot water boilers and less than 225,000 Btu per hour for forced-air central furnaces, gravity central furnaces, and electric central furnaces.
(24) The terms "heat pump" or "reverse cycle" mean a product, other than a packaged terminal heat pump, which-
(A) consists of one or more assemblies;
(B) is powered by single phase electric current;
(C) is rated below 65,000 Btu per hour;
(D) utilizes an indoor conditioning coil, compressors, and refrigerant-to-outdoor-air heat exchanger to provide air heating; and
(E) may also provide air cooling, dehumidifying, humidifying circulating, and air cleaning.
(25) The term "pool heater" means an appliance designed for heating nonpotable water contained at atmospheric pressure, including heating water in swimming pools, spas, hot tubs and similar applications.
(26) The term "thermal efficiency of pool heaters" means a measure of the heat in the water delivered at the heater outlet divided by the heat input of the pool heater as measured under test conditions specified in section 2.8.1 of the American National Standard for Gas Fired Pool Heaters, Z21.56-1986, or as may be prescribed by the Secretary.
(27) The term "water heater" means a product which utilizes oil, gas, or electricity to heat potable water for use outside the heater upon demand, including-
(A) storage type units which heat and store water at a thermostatically controlled temperature, including gas storage water heaters with an input of 75,000 Btu per hour or less, oil storage water heaters with an input of 105,000 Btu per hour or less, and electric storage water heaters with an input of 12 kilowatts or less;
(B) instantaneous type units which heat water but contain no more than one gallon of water per 4,000 Btu per hour of input, including gas instantaneous water heaters with an input of 200,000 Btu per hour or less, oil instantaneous water heaters with an input of 210,000 Btu per hour or less, and electric instantaneous water heaters with an input of 12 kilowatts or less; and
(C) heat pump type units, with a maximum current rating of 24 amperes at a voltage no greater than 250 volts, which are products designed to transfer thermal energy from one temperature level to a higher temperature level for the purpose of heating water, including all ancillary equipment such as fans, storage tanks, pumps, or controls necessary for the device to perform its function.
(28) The term "weatherized warm air furnace or boiler" means a furnace or boiler designed for installation outdoors, approved for resistance to wind, rain, and snow, and supplied with its own venting system.
(A) The term "fluorescent lamp ballast" means a device which is used to start and operate fluorescent lamps by providing a starting voltage and current and limiting the current during normal operation.
(B) The term "ANSI standard" means a standard developed by a committee accredited by the American National Standards Institute.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP