A.R.S. § 6-20-416 - Desegregation funding
|Cite as:||A.R.S. § 6-20-416|
|Currency:||Current through the 2020 Fiscal Session|
(a) The Department of Education and the Attorney General are authorized to seek proper federal court review and determination of the current unitary status of any school district in the case of Little Rock School District v. Pulaski County Special School District No. 1, et al, No. LR-C-82-866.
(1) Upon July 31, 2007, the department and the Attorney General are authorized to seek modification of the current consent decree or enter into a new or an amended consent decree or settlement agreement under this section that allows the State of Arkansas to:
(A) Continue necessary and appropriate payments under a post-unitary agreement to the three (3) Pulaski County school districts for a limited and definite time period not to exceed seven (7) years and for a definite limited sum of payments;
(B) Ensure that the amount of funding provided under the post-unitary agreement is the total maximum obligation of the state and the school districts in the case;
(C) Ensure that the payments required pursuant to the post-unitary agreement are structured so that the total amount of the payments decrease so that no financial obligation remains due or owed by the state at the end of the time period specified in the post-unitary agreement; and
(D) Ensure that the total of any financial obligation created or established for the state in any one (1) year shall not exceed the state's desegregation obligation for the 2008-2009 school year.
(2) The agreement under this subsection may only be a post-unitary agreement, and the school districts shall receive the continued funding only if they are declared unitary. However, the agreement does not have to be post-unitary and may commence upon all school districts having been declared, previously or in the future, unitary in terms of student assignment and student racial balance so long as all other requirements in subdivision (b)(1) of this section are met.
(3) Before any agreement is entered into pursuant to this subsection, the proposed post-unitary agreement shall be submitted to the Legislative Council for review and approval.
(1) The department in consultation with the Attorney General shall have the authority to enter into agreements with the three (3) Pulaski County school districts to reimburse the school districts for legal fees incurred for seeking unitary status or partial unitary status.
(2) To be eligible for possible reimbursement under this subsection for legal fees incurred, motions seeking unitary status or partial unitary status shall be filed no later than October 30, 2007, and the school districts must be declared unitary or at least partially unitary by the federal district court no later than December 31, 2012.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP