42 U.S.C. § 2073 - Domestic distribution of special nuclear material
|Cite as:||42 U.S.C. § 2073|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
The Commission is authorized (i) to issue licenses to transfer or receive in interstate commerce, transfer, deliver, acquire, possess, own, receive possession of or title to, import, or export under the terms of an agreement for cooperation arranged pursuant to section 2153 of this title, special nuclear material, (ii) to make special nuclear material available for the period of the license, and, (iii) to distribute special nuclear material within the United States to qualified applicants requesting such material-
(1) for the conduct of research and development activities of the types specified in section 2051 of this title;
(2) for use in the conduct of research and development activities or in medical therapy under a license issued pursuant to section 2134 of this title;
(3) for use under a license issued pursuant to section 2133 of this title;
(4) for such other uses as the Commission determines to be appropriate to carry out the purposes of this chapter.
(b) Minimum criteria for licenses
The Commission shall establish, by rule, minimum criteria for the issuance of specific or general licenses for the distribution of special nuclear material depending upon the degree of importance to the common defense and security or to the health and safety of the public of-
(1) the physical characteristics of the special nuclear material to be distributed;
(2) the quantities of special nuclear material to be distributed; and
(3) the intended use of the special nuclear material to be distributed.
(c) Manner of distribution; charges for material sold; agreements; charges for material leased
(1) The Commission may distribute special nuclear material licensed under this section by sale, lease, lease with option to buy, or grant: Provided, however, That unless otherwise authorized by law, the Commission shall not after December 31, 1970, distribute special nuclear material except by sale to any person who possesses or operates a utilization facility under a license issued pursuant to section 2133 or 2134(b) of this title for use in the course of activities under such license; nor shall the Commission permit any such person after June 30, 1973, to continue leasing for use in the course of such activities special nuclear material previously leased to such person by the Commission.
(2) The Commission shall establish reasonable sales prices for the special nuclear material licensed and distributed by sale under this section. Such sales prices shall be established on a nondiscriminatory basis which, in the opinion of the Commission, will provide reasonable compensation to the Government for such special nuclear material.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP