10 U.S.C. § 2576b - Excess personal property: sale or donation to assist firefighting agencies
|Cite as:||10 U.S.C. § 2576b|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-91 (12/19/2019)|
(a) TRANSFER AUTHORIZED.-Subject to subsection (b), the Secretary of Defense shall transfer to a firefighting agency in a State any personal property of the Department of Defense that the Secretary determines is-
(1) excess to the needs of the Department of Defense; and
(2) suitable for use in providing fire and emergency medical services, including personal protective equipment and equipment for communication and monitoring.
(b) CONDITIONS FOR TRANSFER.-The Secretary of Defense shall transfer personal property under this section only if-
(1) the property is drawn from existing stocks of the Department of Defense;
(2) the recipient firefighting agency accepts the property on an as-is, where-is basis;
(3) the transfer is made without the expenditure of any funds available to the Department of Defense for the procurement of defense equipment; and
(4) all costs incurred subsequent to the transfer of the property are borne or reimbursed by the recipient.
(c) CONSIDERATION.-Subject to subsection (b)(4), the Secretary may transfer personal property under this section without charge to the recipient firefighting agency.
(d) DEFINITIONS.-In this section:
(1) STATE.-The term "State" includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and any territory or possession of the United States.
(2) FIREFIGHTING AGENCY.-The term "firefighting agency" means any volunteer, paid, or combined departments that provide fire and emergency medical services.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP