42 U.S.C. § 6938 - Export of hazardous wastes
|Cite as:||42 U.S.C. § 6938|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
(a) In general
Beginning twenty-four months after November 8, 1984, no person shall export any hazardous waste identified or listed under this subchapter unless 1
(A) such person has provided the notification required in subsection (c) of this section,
(B) the government of the receiving country has consented to accept such hazardous waste,
(C) a copy of the receiving country's written consent is attached to the manifest accompanying each waste shipment, and
(D) the shipment conforms with the terms of the consent of the government of the receiving country required pursuant to subsection (e), or
(2) the United States and the government of the receiving country have entered into an agreement as provided for in subsection (f) and the shipment conforms with the terms of such agreement.
Not later than twelve months after November 8, 1984, the Administrator shall promulgate the regulations necessary to implement this section. Such regulations shall become effective one hundred and eighty days after promulgation.
Any person who intends to export a hazardous waste identified or listed under this subchapter beginning twelve months after November 8, 1984, shall, before such hazardous waste is scheduled to leave the United States, provide notification to the Administrator. Such notification shall contain the following information:
(1) the name and address of the exporter;
(2) the types and estimated quantities of hazardous waste to be exported;
(3) the estimated frequency or rate at which such waste is to be exported; and the period of time over which such waste is to be exported;
(4) the ports of entry;
(5) a description of the manner in which such hazardous waste will be transported to and treated, stored, or disposed in the receiving country; and
(6) the name and address of the ultimate treatment, storage or disposal facility.
(d) Procedures for requesting consent of receiving country
Within thirty days of the Administrator's receipt of a complete notification under this section, the Secretary of State, acting on behalf of the Administrator, shall-
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP