26 U.S.C. § 6038C - Information with respect to foreign corporations engaged in U.S. business
|Cite as:||26 U.S.C. § 6038C|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
If a foreign corporation (hereinafter in this section referred to as the "reporting corporation") is engaged in a trade or business within the United States at any time during a taxable year-
(1) such corporation shall furnish (at such time and in such manner as the Secretary shall by regulations prescribe) the information described in subsection (b), and
(2) such corporation shall maintain (at the location, in the manner, and to the extent prescribed in regulations) such records as may be appropriate to determine the liability of such corporation for tax under this title as the Secretary shall by regulations prescribe (or shall cause another person to so maintain such records).
(b) Required information
For purposes of subsection (a), the information described in this subsection is-
(1) the information described in section 6038A(b), and
(2) such other information as the Secretary may prescribe by regulations relating to any item not directly connected with a transaction for which information is required under paragraph (1).
(c) Penalty for failure to furnish information or maintain records
The provisions of subsection (d) of section 6038A shall apply to-
(1) any failure to furnish (within the time prescribed by regulations) any information described in subsection (b), and
(2) any failure to maintain (or cause another to maintain) records as required by subsection (a),
in the same manner as if such failure were a failure to comply with the provisions of section 6038A.
(d) Enforcement of requests for certain records
(1) Agreement to treat corporation as agent
The rules of paragraph (3) shall apply to any transaction between the reporting corporation and any related party who is a foreign person unless such related party agrees (in such manner and at such time as the Secretary shall prescribe) to authorize the reporting corporation to act as such related party's limited agent solely for purposes of applying sections 7602, 7603, and 7604 with respect to any request by the Secretary to examine records or produce testimony related to any such transaction or with respect to any summons by the Secretary for such records or testimony. The appearance of persons or production of records by reason of the reporting corporation being such an agent shall not subject such persons or records to legal process for any purpose other than determining the correct treatment under this title of any transaction between the reporting corporation and such related party.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP