15 U.S.C. § 6712 - Insurance underwriting in national banks
|Cite as:||15 U.S.C. § 6712|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
(a) In general
Except as provided in section 6713 of this title, a national bank and the subsidiaries of a national bank may not provide insurance in a State as principal except that this prohibition shall not apply to authorized products.
(b) Authorized products
For the purposes of this section, a product is authorized if-
(1) as of January 1, 1999, the Comptroller of the Currency had determined in writing that national banks may provide such product as principal, or national banks were in fact lawfully providing such product as principal;
(2) no court of relevant jurisdiction had, by final judgment, overturned a determination of the Comptroller of the Currency that national banks may provide such product as principal; and
(3) the product is not title insurance, or an annuity contract the income of which is subject to tax treatment under section 72 of title 26.
For purposes of this section, the term "insurance" means-
(1) any product regulated as insurance as of January 1, 1999, in accordance with the relevant State insurance law, in the State in which the product is provided;
(2) any product first offered after January 1, 1999, which-
(A) a State insurance regulator determines shall be regulated as insurance in the State in which the product is provided because the product insures, guarantees, or indemnifies against liability, loss of life, loss of health, or loss through damage to or destruction of property, including, but not limited to, surety bonds, life insurance, health insurance, title insurance, and property and casualty insurance (such as private passenger or commercial automobile, homeowners, mortgage, commercial multiperil, general liability, professional liability, workers' compensation, fire and allied lines, farm owners multiperil, aircraft, fidelity, surety, medical malpractice, ocean marine, inland marine, and boiler and machinery insurance); and
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP