35 U.S.C. § 115 - Inventor's oath or declaration
|Cite as:||35 U.S.C. § 115|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
(a) NAMING THE INVENTOR; INVENTOR'S OATH OR DECLARATION.-An application for patent that is filed under section 111(a) or commences the national stage under section 371 shall include, or be amended to include, the name of the inventor for any invention claimed in the application. Except as otherwise provided in this section, each individual who is the inventor or a joint inventor of a claimed invention in an application for patent shall execute an oath or declaration in connection with the application.
(b) REQUIRED STATEMENTS.-An oath or declaration under subsection (a) shall contain statements that-
(1) the application was made or was authorized to be made by the affiant or declarant; and
(2) such individual believes himself or herself to be the original inventor or an original joint inventor of a claimed invention in the application.
(c) ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS.-The Director may specify additional information relating to the inventor and the invention that is required to be included in an oath or declaration under subsection (a).
(d) SUBSTITUTE STATEMENT.-
(1) IN GENERAL.-In lieu of executing an oath or declaration under subsection (a), the applicant for patent may provide a substitute statement under the circumstances described in paragraph (2) and such additional circumstances that the Director may specify by regulation.
(2) PERMITTED CIRCUMSTANCES.-A substitute statement under paragraph (1) is permitted with respect to any individual who-
(A) is unable to file the oath or declaration under subsection (a) because the individual-
(i) is deceased;
(ii) is under legal incapacity; or
(iii) cannot be found or reached after diligent effort; or
(B) is under an obligation to assign the invention but has refused to make the oath or declaration required under subsection (a).
(3) CONTENTS.-A substitute statement under this subsection shall-
(A) identify the individual with respect to whom the statement applies;
(B) set forth the circumstances representing the permitted basis for the filing of the substitute statement in lieu of the oath or declaration under subsection (a); and
(C) contain any additional information, including any showing, required by the Director.
(e) MAKING REQUIRED STATEMENTS IN ASSIGNMENT OF RECORD.-An individual who is under an obligation of assignment of an application for patent may include the required statements under subsections (b) and (c) in the assignment executed by the individual, in lieu of filing such statements separately.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP