42 U.S.C. § 1472 - Loans for housing and buildings on adequate farms
|Cite as:||42 U.S.C. § 1472|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-21 (6/12/2019)|
(a) Terms of loan
(1) If the Secretary determines that an applicant is eligible for assistance as provided in section 1471 of this title and that the applicant has the ability to repay in full the sum to be loaned, with interest, giving due consideration to the income and earning capacity of the applicant and his family from the farm and other sources, and the maintenance of a reasonable standard of living for the owner and the occupants of said farm, a loan may be made by the Secretary to said applicant for a period of not to exceed thirty-three years from the making of the loan with interest. The Secretary may accept the personal liability of any person with adequate repayment ability who will cosign the applicant's note to compensate for any deficiency in the applicant's repayment ability. At the borrower's option, the borrower may prepay to the Secretary as escrow agent, on terms and conditions prescribed by him, such taxes, insurance, and other expenses as the Secretary may require in accordance with section 1471(e) of this title.
(2) The Secretary may extend the period of any loan made under this section if the Secretary determines that such extension is necessary to permit the making of such loan to any person whose income does not exceed 60 per centum of the median income for the area and who would otherwise be denied such loan because the payments required under a shorter period would exceed the financial capacity of such person. The aggregate period for which any loan may be extended under this paragraph may not exceed 5 years.
(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, a loan may be made under this section for the purchase of a dwelling located on land owned by a community land trust, if the borrower and the loan otherwise meet the requirements applicable to loans under this section.
(B) For purposes of this paragraph, the term "community land trust" means a community housing development organization as such term is defined in section 12704 of this title (except that the requirements under section 12704(6)(C) of this title and section 12704(6)(D) of this title shall not apply for purposes of this paragraph)-
(i) that is not sponsored by a for-profit organization;
(ii) that is established to carry out the activities under clause (iii);
(I) acquires parcels of land, held in perpetuity, primarily for conveyance under long-term ground leases;
(II) transfers ownership of any structural improvements located on such leased parcels to the lessees; and
(III) retains a preemptive option to purchase any such structural improvement at a price determined by formula that is designed to ensure that the improvement remains affordable to low- and moderate-income families in perpetuity; and
(iv) that has its corporate membership open to any adult resident of a particular geographic area specified in the bylaws of the organization.
(b) Provisions of loan instrument
The instruments under which the loan is made and the security given shall-
(1) provide for security upon the applicant's equity in the farm or such other security or collateral, if any, as may be found necessary by the Secretary reasonably to assure repayment of the indebtedness;
(2) provide for the repayment of principal and interest in accordance with schedules and repayment plans prescribed by the Secretary, except that any prepayment of a loan made or insured under section 1484 or 1485 of this title shall be subject to the provisions of subsection (c);
(3) except for guaranteed loans, contain the agreement of the borrower that he will, at the request of the Secretary, proceed with diligence to refinance the balance of the indebtedness through cooperative or other responsible private credit sources whenever the Secretary determines, in the light of the borrower's circumstances, including his earning capacity and the income from the farm, that he is able to do so upon reasonable terms and conditions;
(4) be in such form and contain such covenants as the Secretary shall prescribe to secure the payment of the loan with interest, protect the security, and assure that the farm will be maintained in repair and that waste and exhaustion of the farm will be prevented.
(c) Prepayment and refinancing provisions
(A) The Secretary may not accept an offer to prepay, or request refinancing in accordance with subsection (b)(3) of, any loan made or insured under section 1484 or 1485 of this title pursuant to a contract entered into after December 21, 1979, but before December 15, 1989, unless the Secretary takes appropriate action which will obligate the borrower (and successors in interest thereof) to utilize the assisted housing and related facilities for the purposes specified in section 1484 or 1485 of this title, as the case may be, for a period of-
(i) fifteen years from the date on which the loan was made in the case of a loan made or insured pursuant to a contract entered into after December 21, 1979, but before December 15, 1989, and utilized for housing and related facilities which have not received assistance under section 1490a(a)(1)(B), (a)(2), or (5) of this title or section 1437f of this title; or
(ii) twenty years from the date on which the loan was made in the case of any other such loan;
or until the Secretary determines (prior to the end of such period) that there is no longer a need for such housing and related facilities to be so utilized or that Federal or other financial assistance provided to the residents of such housing will no longer be provided.
(B) The Secretary may not accept an offer to prepay, or request refinancing in accordance with subsection (b)(3) of, any initial loan made or insured under section 1485 of this title pursuant to a contract entered into on or after December 15, 1989.
(2) If any loan which was made or insured under section 1484 or 1485 of this title pursuant to a contract entered into prior to December 15, 1989, is prepaid or refinanced on or after October 8, 1980, and tenants of the housing and related facilities financed with such loan are displaced due to a change in the use of the housing, or to an increase in rental or other charges, as a result of such prepayment or refinancing, the Secretary shall provide such tenants a priority for relocation in alternative housing assisted pursuant to this subchapter.
(3) NOTICE OF OFFER TO PREPAY.-Not less than 30 days after receiving an offer to prepay any loan made or insured under section 1484 or 1485 of this title, the Secretary shall provide written notice of the offer or request to the tenants of the housing and related facilities involved, to interested nonprofit organizations, and to any appropriate State and local agencies.
(A) AGREEMENT BY BORROWER TO EXTEND LOW INCOME USE.-Before accepting any offer to prepay, or requesting refinancing in accordance with subsection (b)(3) of, any loan made or insured under section 1484 or 1485 of this title pursuant to a contract entered into prior to December 15, 1989, the Secretary shall make reasonable efforts to enter into an agreement with the borrower under which the borrower will make a binding commitment to extend the low income use of the assisted housing and related facilities involved for not less than the 20-year period beginning on the date on which the agreement is executed.
(B) ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE TO BORROWER TO EXTEND LOW INCOME USE.-To the extent of amounts provided in appropriation Acts, the agreement under subparagraph (A) may provide for 1 or more of the following forms of assistance that the Secretary, after taking into account local market conditions, determines to be necessary to extend the low income use of the housing and related facilities involved:
(i) Increase in the rate of return on investment.
(ii) Reduction of the interest rate on the loan through the provision of interest credits under section 1490a(a)(1)(B) of this title, or additional assistance or an increase in assistance provided under section 1490a(a)(5) of this title.
(iii) Additional rental assistance, or an increase in assistance provided under existing contracts, under section 1490a(a)(2) or 1490a(a)(5) of this title or under section 1437f of this title.
(iv) An equity loan to the borrower under paragraphs (1) and (2) of section 1485(c) of this title or under paragraphs (1) and (2) of section 1484(j) 1 of this title, except that an equity loan referred to in this clause may not be made available after August 6, 1996, unless the Secretary determines that the other incentives available under this subparagraph are not adequate to provide a fair return on the investment of the borrower, to prevent prepayment of the loan insured under section 1484 or 1485 of this title, or to prevent the displacement of tenants of the housing for which the loan was made.
(v) Incremental rental assistance in connection with loans under clauses (ii) and (iv) to the extent necessary to avoid increases in the rental payments of current tenants not receiving rental assistance under section 1490a(a)(2) of this title or under section 1437f of this title, or current tenants of projects not assisted under section 1490a(a)(5) of this title.
(vi) In the case of a project that has received rental assistance under section 1437f of this title, permitting the owner to receive rent in excess of the amount determined necessary by the Secretary to defray the cost of long-term repair or maintenance of such a project.
(C) APPROVAL OF ASSISTANCE.-The Secretary may approve assistance under subparagraph (B) for assisted housing only if the restrictive period has expired for any loan for the housing made or insured under section 1484 or 1485 of this title pursuant to a contract entered into after December 21, 1979, but before December 15, 1989, and the Secretary determines that the combination of assistance provided-
(i) is necessary to provide a fair return on the investment of the borrower; and
(ii) is the least costly alternative for the Federal Government that is consistent with carrying out the purposes of this subsection.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP