15 U.S.C. § 2904 - National Climate Program
|Cite as:||15 U.S.C. § 2904|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
The President shall establish a National Climate Program in accordance with the provisions, findings and purposes of this chapter.
The President shall-
(1) promulgate the 5-year plans described in subsection (d)(9);
(2) define the roles in the Program of Federal officers, departments, and agencies, including the Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Defense, Energy, Interior, State, and Transportation; the Environmental Protection Agency; the National Aeronautics and Space Administration; the Council on Environmental Quality; the National Science Foundation; and the Office of Science and Technology Policy; and
(3) provide for Program coordination.
(c) National Climate Program Office
(1) The Secretary shall establish within the Department of Commerce a National Climate Program Office not later than 30 days after September 17, 1978.
(2) The Office shall-
(A) serve as the lead entity responsible for administering the program;
(B) be headed by a Director who shall represent the Climate Program Policy Board and shall be spokesperson for the program;
(C) serve as the staff for the Board and its supporting committees and working groups;
(D) review each agency budget request transmitted under subsection (g)(1) and submit an analysis of the requests to the Board for its review;
(E) be responsible for coordinating interagency participation in international climate-related activities; and
(F) work with the National Academy of Sciences and other private, academic, State, and local groups in preparing and implementing the 5-year plan (described in subsection (d)(9)) and the program.
The analysis described in subparagraph (D) shall include an analysis of how each agency's budget request relates to the priorities and goals of the program established pursuant to this chapter.
(3) The Secretary may provide, through the Office, financial assistance, in the form of contracts or grants or cooperative agreements, for climate-related activities which are needed to meet the goals and priorities of the program set forth in the 5-year plan pursuant to subsection (d)(9), if such goals and priorities are not being adequately addressed by any Federal department, agency, or instrumentality.
(4) Each Federal officer, employee, department and agency involved in the Program shall cooperate with the Secretary in carrying out the provisions of this chapter.
(d) Program elements
The Program shall include, but not be limited to, the following elements:
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP