49 U.S.C. § 5108 - Registration
|Cite as:||49 U.S.C. § 5108|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-65 (10/09/2019)|
(a) PERSONS REQUIRED TO FILE.-
(1) A person shall file a registration statement with the Secretary under this subsection if the person is transporting or causing to be transported in commerce any of the following:
(A) a highway-route-controlled quantity of radioactive material.
(B) more than 25 kilograms of a Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 explosive material in a motor vehicle, rail car, or transport container.
(C) more than one liter in each package of a hazardous material the Secretary designates as extremely toxic by inhalation.
(D) hazardous material in a bulk packaging, container, or tank, as defined by the Secretary, if the bulk packaging, container, or tank has a capacity of at least 3,500 gallons or more than 468 cubic feet.
(E) a shipment of at least 5,000 pounds (except in a bulk packaging) of a class of hazardous material for which placarding of a vehicle, rail car, or freight container is required under regulations prescribed under this chapter.
(2) The Secretary may require any of the following persons to file a registration statement with the Secretary under this subsection:
(A) a person transporting or causing to be transported hazardous material in commerce and not required to file a registration statement under paragraph (1) of this subsection.
(B) a person designing, manufacturing, fabricating, inspecting, marking, maintaining, reconditioning, repairing, or testing a package, container, or packaging component that is represented, marked, certified, or sold as qualified for use in transporting hazardous material in commerce.
(3) A person required to file a registration statement under this subsection may transport or cause to be transported, or design, manufacture, fabricate, inspect, mark, maintain, recondition, repair, or test a package, container packaging component, or container for use in transporting, hazardous material, only if the person has a statement on file as required by this subsection.
(4) The Secretary may waive the filing of a registration statement, or the payment of a fee, required under this subsection, or both, for any person not domiciled in the United States who solely offers hazardous materials for transportation to the United States from a place outside the United States if the country of which such person is a domiciliary does not require persons domiciled in the United States who solely offer hazardous materials for transportation to the foreign country from places in the United States to file registration statements, or to pay fees, for making such an offer.
(b) FORM, CONTENTS, AND LIMITATION ON FILINGS.-
(1) A registration statement under subsection (a) of this section shall be in the form and contain information the Secretary requires by regulation. The Secretary may use existing forms of the Department of Transportation and the Environmental Protection Agency to carry out this subsection. The statement shall include-
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP