49 U.S.C. § 13908 - Registration and other reforms
|Cite as:||49 U.S.C. § 13908|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
(a) ESTABLISHMENT OF UNIFIED CARRIER REGISTRATION SYSTEM.-The Secretary, in cooperation with the States, representatives of the motor carrier, motor private carrier, freight forwarder, and broker industries and after notice and opportunity for public comment, shall issue within 1 year after the date of enactment of the Unified Carrier Registration Act of 2005 regulations to establish an online Federal registration system, to be named the "Unified Carrier Registration System", to replace-
(1) the current Department of Transportation identification number system, the single State registration system under section 14504; 1
(2) the registration system contained in this chapter and the financial responsibility information system under section 13906; and
(3) the service of process agent systems under sections 503 and 13304.
(b) ROLE AS CLEARINGHOUSE AND DEPOSITORY OF INFORMATION.-The Unified Carrier Registration System shall serve as a clearinghouse and depository of information on, and identification of, all foreign and domestic motor carriers, motor private carriers, brokers, freight forwarders, and others required to register with the Department of Transportation, including information with respect to a carrier's safety rating, compliance with required levels of financial responsibility, and compliance with the provisions of section 14504a. The Secretary shall ensure that Federal agencies, States, representatives of the motor carrier industry, and the public have access to the Unified Carrier Registration System, including the records and information contained in the System.
(c) PROCEDURES FOR CORRECTING INFORMATION.-Not later than 60 days after the effective date of this section, the Secretary shall prescribe regulations establishing procedures that enable a motor carrier to correct erroneous information contained in any part of the Unified Carrier Registration System.
(d) FEE SYSTEM.-The Secretary shall establish, under section 9701 of title 31, a fee system for the Unified Carrier Registration System according to the following guidelines:
(1) REGISTRATION AND FILING EVIDENCE OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY.-The fee for new registrants shall as nearly as possible cover the costs of processing the registration.
(2) EVIDENCE OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY.-The fee for filing evidence of financial responsibility pursuant to this section shall not exceed $10 per filing. No fee shall be charged for a filing for purposes of designating an agent for service of process or the filing of other information relating to financial responsibility.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP