29 U.S.C. § 1343 - Reportable events
|Cite as:||29 U.S.C. § 1343|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
(a) Notification that event has occurred
Within 30 days after the plan administrator or the contributing sponsor knows or has reason to know that a reportable event described in subsection (c) has occurred, he shall notify the corporation that such event has occurred, unless a notice otherwise required under this subsection has already been provided with respect to such event. The corporation is authorized to waive the requirement of the preceding sentence with respect to any or all reportable events with respect to any plan, and to require the notification to be made by including the event in the annual report made by the plan.
(b) Notification that event is about to occur
(1) The requirements of this subsection shall be applicable to a contributing sponsor if, as of the close of the preceding plan year-
(A) the aggregate unfunded vested benefits (as determined under section 1306(a)(3)(E)(iii) of this title) of plans subject to this subchapter which are maintained by such sponsor and members of such sponsor's controlled groups (disregarding plans with no unfunded vested benefits) exceed $50,000,000, and
(B) the funded vested benefit percentage for such plans is less than 90 percent.
For purposes of subparagraph (B), the funded vested benefit percentage means the percentage which the aggregate value of the assets of such plans bears to the aggregate vested benefits of such plans (determined in accordance with section 1306(a)(3)(E)(iii) of this title).
(2) This subsection shall not apply to an event if the contributing sponsor, or the member of the contributing sponsor's controlled group to which the event relates, is-
(A) a person subject to the reporting requirements of section 13 or 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 [ 15 U.S.C. 78m, 78o(d) ], or
(B) a subsidiary (as defined for purposes of such Act [ 15 U.S.C. 78a et seq.]) of a person subject to such reporting requirements.
(3) No later than 30 days prior to the effective date of an event described in paragraph (9), (10), (11), (12), or (13) of subsection (c), a contributing sponsor to which the requirements of this subsection apply shall notify the corporation that the event is about to occur.
(4) The corporation may waive the requirement of this subsection with respect to any or all reportable events with respect to any contributing sponsor.
(c) Enumeration of reportable events
For purposes of this section a reportable event occurs-
(1) when the Secretary of the Treasury issues notice that a plan has ceased to be a plan described in section 1321(a)(2) of this title, or when the Secretary of Labor determines the plan is not in compliance with subchapter I of this chapter;
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP