6 U.S.C. § 112 - Secretary; functions
|Cite as:||6 U.S.C. § 112|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
(1) In general
There is a Secretary of Homeland Security, appointed by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate.
(2) Head of Department
The Secretary is the head of the Department and shall have direction, authority, and control over it.
(3) Functions vested in Secretary
All functions of all officers, employees, and organizational units of the Department are vested in the Secretary.
(1) except as otherwise provided by this chapter, may delegate any of the Secretary's functions to any officer, employee, or organizational unit of the Department;
(2) shall have the authority to make contracts, grants, and cooperative agreements, and to enter into agreements with other executive agencies, as may be necessary and proper to carry out the Secretary's responsibilities under this chapter or otherwise provided by law; and
(3) shall take reasonable steps to ensure that information systems and databases of the Department are compatible with each other and with appropriate databases of other Departments.
(c) Coordination with non-Federal entities
With respect to homeland security, the Secretary shall coordinate through the Office of State and Local Coordination 1 (established under section 361 of this title) (including the provision of training and equipment) with State and local government personnel, agencies, and authorities, with the private sector, and with other entities, including by-
(1) coordinating with State and local government personnel, agencies, and authorities, and with the private sector, to ensure adequate planning, equipment, training, and exercise activities;
(2) coordinating and, as appropriate, consolidating, the Federal Government's communications and systems of communications relating to homeland security with State and local government personnel, agencies, and authorities, the private sector, other entities, and the public; and
(3) distributing or, as appropriate, coordinating the distribution of, warnings and information to State and local government personnel, agencies, and authorities and to the public.
(d) Meetings of National Security Council
The Secretary may, subject to the direction of the President, attend and participate in meetings of the National Security Council.
(e) Issuance of regulations
The issuance of regulations by the Secretary shall be governed by the provisions of chapter 5 of title 5, except as specifically provided in this chapter, in laws granting regulatory authorities that are transferred by this chapter, and in laws enacted after November 25, 2002.
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP