47 U.S.C. § 340 - Significantly viewed signals permitted to be carried
|Cite as:||47 U.S.C. § 340|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-158 (08/14/2020)|
(a) Significantly viewed stations
In addition to the broadcast signals that subscribers may receive under section 1 338 and 339 of this title, a satellite carrier is also authorized to retransmit to a subscriber located in a community the signal of any station located outside the local market in which such subscriber is located, to the extent such signal-
(1) has, before December 8, 2004, been determined by the Federal Communications Commission to be a signal a cable operator may carry as significantly viewed in such community, except to the extent that such signal is prevented from being carried by a cable system in such community under the Commission's network nonduplication and syndicated exclusivity rules; or
(2) is, after December 8, 2004, determined by the Commission to be significantly viewed in such community in accordance with the same standards and procedures concerning shares of viewing hours and audience surveys as are applicable under the rules, regulations, and authorizations of the Commission to determining with respect to a cable system whether signals are significantly viewed in a community.
(1) Service limited to subscribers taking local-into-local service
This section shall apply only to retransmissions to subscribers of a satellite carrier who receive retransmissions of a signal from that satellite carrier pursuant to section 338 of this title.
(2) Service limitations
A satellite carrier may retransmit to a subscriber in high definition format the signal of a station determined by the Commission to be significantly viewed under subsection (a) only if such carrier also retransmits in high definition format the signal of a station located in the local market of such subscriber and affiliated with the same network whenever such format is available from such station.
(3) Limitation not applicable where no network affiliates
The limitations in paragraphs (1) and (2) shall not prohibit a retransmission under this section to a subscriber located in a local market in which there are no network stations affiliated with the same television network as the station whose signal is being retransmitted pursuant to this section.
(4) Authority to grant station-specific waivers
Paragraphs (1) and (2) shall not prohibit a retransmission of a network station to a subscriber if and to the extent that the network station in the local market in which the subscriber is located, and that is affiliated with the same television network, has privately negotiated and affirmatively granted a waiver from the requirements of paragraph 2 (1) and (2) to such satellite carrier with respect to retransmission of the significantly viewed station to such subscriber.
(c) Publication and modifications of lists; regulations
(1) In general
The Commission shall-
(A) within 60 days after December 8, 2004-
(i) publish a list of the stations that are eligible for retransmission under subsection (a)(1) and the communities in which such stations are eligible for such retransmission; and
(ii) commence a rulemaking proceeding to implement this section by publication of a notice of proposed rulemaking;
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP