15 U.S.C. § 4402 - Smokeless tobacco warning
|Cite as:||15 U.S.C. § 4402|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-158 (08/14/2020)|
(a) General rule
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, package, sell, offer to sell, distribute, or import for sale or distribution within the United States any smokeless tobacco product unless the product package bears, in accordance with the requirements of this chapter, one of the following labels:
WARNING: This product can cause mouth cancer.
WARNING: This product can cause gum disease and tooth loss.
WARNING: This product is not a safe alternative to cigarettes.
WARNING: Smokeless tobacco is addictive.
(2) Each label statement required by paragraph (1) shall be-
(A) located on the 2 principal display panels of the package, and each label statement shall comprise at least 30 percent of each such display panel; and
(B) in 17-point conspicuous and legible type and in black text on a white background, or white text on a black background, in a manner that contrasts by typography, layout, or color, with all other printed material on the package, in an alternating fashion under the plan submitted under subsection (b)(3), except that if the text of a label statement would occupy more than 70 percent of the area specified by subparagraph (A), such text may appear in a smaller type size, so long as at least 60 percent of such warning area is occupied by the label statement.
(3) The label statements required by paragraph (1) shall be introduced by each tobacco product manufacturer, packager, importer, distributor, or retailer of smokeless tobacco products concurrently into the distribution chain of such products.
(4) The provisions of this subsection do not apply to a tobacco product manufacturer or distributor of any smokeless tobacco product that does not manufacture, package, or import smokeless tobacco products for sale or distribution within the United States.
(5) A retailer of smokeless tobacco products shall not be in violation of this subsection for packaging that-
(A) contains a warning label;
(B) is supplied to the retailer by a license- or permit-holding tobacco product manufacturer, importer, or distributor; and
(C) is not altered by the retailer in a way that is material to the requirements of this subsection.
(b) Required labels
(1) It shall be unlawful for any tobacco product manufacturer, packager, importer, distributor, or retailer of smokeless tobacco products to advertise or cause to be advertised within the United States any smokeless tobacco product unless its advertising bears, in accordance with the requirements of this section, one of the labels specified in subsection (a).
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP