49 U.S.C. § 60105 - State pipeline safety program certifications
|Cite as:||49 U.S.C. § 60105|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 115-244|
(a) GENERAL REQUIREMENTS AND SUBMISSION.-Except as provided in this section and sections 60114 and 60121 of this title, the Secretary of Transportation may not prescribe or enforce safety standards and practices for an intrastate pipeline facility or intrastate pipeline transportation to the extent that the safety standards and practices are regulated by a State authority (including a municipality if the standards and practices apply to intrastate gas pipeline transportation) that submits to the Secretary annually a certification for the facilities and transportation that complies with subsections (b) and (c) of this section.
(b) CONTENTS.-Each certification submitted under subsection (a) of this section shall state that the State authority-
(1) has regulatory jurisdiction over the standards and practices to which the certification applies;
(2) has adopted, by the date of certification, each applicable standard prescribed under this chapter or, if a standard under this chapter was prescribed not later than 120 days before certification, is taking steps to adopt that standard;
(3) is enforcing each adopted standard through ways that include inspections conducted by State employees meeting the qualifications the Secretary prescribes under section 60107(d)(1)(C) of this title;
(4) is encouraging and promoting the establishment of a program designed to prevent damage by demolition, excavation, tunneling, or construction activity to the pipeline facilities to which the certification applies that subjects persons who violate the applicable requirements of that program to civil penalties and other enforcement actions that are substantially the same as are provided under this chapter, and addresses the elements in section 60134(b);
(5) may require record maintenance, reporting, and inspection substantially the same as provided under section 60117 of this title;
(6) may require that plans for inspection and maintenance under section 60108 (a) and (b) of this title be filed for approval; and
(7) may enforce safety standards of the authority under a law of the State by injunctive relief and civil penalties substantially the same as provided under sections 60120 and 60122(a)(1) and (b)-(f) of this title.
(1) Each certification submitted under subsection (a) of this section shall include a report that contains-
(A) the name and address of each person to whom the certification applies that is subject to the safety jurisdiction of the State authority;
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP