5 U.S.C. § 5707 - Regulations and reports
|Cite as:||5 U.S.C. § 5707|
|Currency:||Current through P.L. 116-135 (03/26/2020)|
(1) The Administrator of General Services shall prescribe regulations necessary for the administration of this subchapter, except that the Director of the Administrative Office of the United States Courts shall prescribe such regulations with respect to official travel by employees of the judicial branch of the Government.
(2) Regulations promulgated to implement section 5702 or 5706a of this title shall be transmitted to the appropriate committees of the Congress and shall not take effect until 30 days after such transmittal.
(b) The Administrator of General Services shall prescribe the mileage reimbursement rates for use on official business of privately owned airplanes, privately owned automobiles, and privately owned motorcycles while engaged on official business as provided for in section 5704 of this title as follows:
(A) The Administrator of General Services shall conduct periodic investigations of the cost of travel and the operation of privately owned airplanes and privately owned motorcycles by employees while engaged on official business, and shall report the results of such investigations to Congress at least once a year.
(B) In conducting the periodic investigations, the Administrator shall review and analyze among other factors-
(i) depreciation of original vehicle cost;
(ii) gasoline and oil (excluding taxes);
(iii) maintenance, accessories, parts, and tires;
(iv) insurance; and
(v) State and Federal taxes.
(A) The Administrator shall issue regulations under this section which-
(i) shall provide that the mileage reimbursement rate for privately owned automobiles, as provided in section 5704(a)(1), is the single standard mileage rate established by the Internal Revenue Service referred to in that section, and
(ii) shall prescribe mileage reimbursement rates which reflect the current costs as determined by the Administrator of operating privately owned airplanes and motorcycles.
(B) At least once each year after the issuance of the regulations described in subparagraph (A) of this paragraph, the Administrator shall determine, based upon the results of the cost investigation, specific figures, each rounded to the nearest half cent, of the average, actual cost per mile during the period for the use of a privately owned airplane, automobile, and motorcycle.
(C) The Administrator shall report the specific figures to Congress not later than five working days after the Administrator makes the cost determination. Each such report shall be printed in the Federal Register.
(D) The mileage reimbursement rates contained in the regulations prescribed under this section shall be adjusted within thirty days following the submission of the report under subparagraph (C) of this paragraph.
(1) Not later than November 30 of each year, the head of each agency shall submit to the Administrator of General Services, in a format prescribed by the Administrator and approved by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget-
(A) data on total agency payments for such items as travel and transportation of people, average costs and durations of trips, and purposes of official travel;
(B) data on estimated total agency payments for employee relocation; and
(C) an analysis of the total costs of transportation service by type, and the total number of trips utilizing each transportation type for purposes of official travel.
(2) The Administrator of General Services shall make the data submitted pursuant to paragraph (1) publicly available upon receipt.
(3) Not later than January 31 of each year, the Administrator of General Services shall submit to the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform of the House of Representatives, and the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs of the Senate-
To continue readingFREE SIGN UP